Thursday, April 18, 2013

To Try & DIY or Just To Buy?



The ever popular social media site (geared for ladies) Pinterest has got a lot of its users feeling crafty. Unfortunately, not everyone’s Pinterest projects turn out so well. For lots of hilarious examples check out these web pages: 


Recently, I thought that maybe I should give a Pinterest project the good ol’ college try. I was running out of shaving cream and I had been seeing a lot of pins with images of homemade shaving cream. Spoiler alert…not my best idea.

I did a lot of research, looked at several pins and even Google searched “how to” directions for making shaving cream. Even though I found many different recipes, I came up with a shopping list with the most common ingredients. I headed to one of my favorite stores, The Dollar Tree and ending up spending around six dollars.  A generic eight ounce can of shaving cream costs $1.29.  So far, not so good.

The common ingredients in a DIY Shaving Cream Recipe



I followed the instructions step-by-step and after I let the mixture sit for about an hour my final project was created. Shaving juice! That’s, right…juice.  Not cream.

My shaving cream juice.


My intentions were to save money, not waste money. So here’s the moral of the story- sometimes it’s not only easier, but smarter and cheaper just to buy the product you need instead of trying to make it yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Not a complete waste, you can totally just use conditioner for shaving cream! That's what I do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your term- shaving cream juice. Sorry the project did not work out, but thanks for the warning.

    ReplyDelete