Monday, April 15, 2013

A Penny Pincher’s Favorite Stores


As school comes to an end and summer is quickly approaching, I find myself thinking about a lot of things. Obviously, I’m thinking about my future career…Where will I get my first job as a college graduate? Where am I going to be living? What is the dress code going to be like at my job? Dress code!? Oh crap, I’m going to have to get new clothes.

Obviously, shopping for clothes is not on the top of my list right now, but once I find the answers to my first few questions I will definitely begin looking for some items to freshen up my wardrobe. When the time comes, there are a few stores that I will be sure to hit. As a frugal, college student I hardly ever go shopping at department stores. If you have read any of my other blog posts, you know that my first stop is most often Goodwill. If I can’t find what I need there then I hit some of my other favorite stores. 

Rugged Warehouse, Burke’s Outlet, Plato’s Closet, and Marshalls are really great clothing stores that usually have some stellar deals. As always with bargain shopping, it is important to fully check the items you want to buy for damages. The difference between Plato’s Closet and all of the other stores that I mentioned is that Plato’s sells gently used clothes. They offer cash or store credit to people who bring in used “name brand” items. Plato’s is pretty picky about what they accept. Therefore, if you find something in the store it is usually good quality. 

Here is a video on how Plato's Closet operates: http://www.platoscloset.com/how-it-works

Out of all of the stores that I mentioned, Marshalls is probably the most expensive. A lot of items that they sell are overstock.  Typically, their items aren’t damaged or “last season,” the factory just made too many of them.  As a result, their prices don’t tend to drop that much from normal retail price but be sure to check out their clearance racks for some major steals.  

I'm digging that green dress! It is work appropriate, but also good for a dinner date.


Rugged Warehouse and Burke’s Outlet are national chains that offer some amazing deals. *Burke’s also goes by Beall’s in some states. These stores sell a mixture of damaged goods and overstock. Burke’s/Beall’s offers incredible savings on the last Thursday of every month. Every item on clearance has a color coded sticker on the tag. Each color represents a percentage of savings. The savings go from 10-95% off the lowest advertised price. Their already low prices make it possible for a customer to purchase pieces of clothing for less than $1. 

I’m sure in the next month I’ll be stopping in these stores hunting for the best bargains. Next time you find yourself in need of a wardrobe update, try to find one of these stores near you and pinch yourself some pennies.

1 comment:

  1. I love Burke's. At first, I didn't think that I would, but I went with a friend one time and I found some Nike gym shorts that were on sale for $.47. I love these shorts. I always wear them especially during the spring, summer, and fall.

    ReplyDelete