Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Don't Forget to Donate


Two bags of clothes, ready to be donated!

 Not everyone has to face struggles such as running out of hangers or closet space. Some people face a little more serious issues- such as having clean clothes that fit appropriately. I know that I have always been incredibly blessed and that I have never gone without anything in my life. I also know that there are many people that aren’t as lucky or as blessed as I have been. 

I had always grown up giving my hand-me-downs (or clothes that I had grown out of) to my younger sister. Starting in my early high school years though, I started buying a lot of my own clothes with money that I earned working. Whether or not it was the right thing to do, I felt like if I was paying for my own clothes then I should decide what happens to them after I grew out of them. From then on, I gave my sister some of my “hand-me-downs” and the rest I donated to Goodwill. 

I always feel a lot less guilty about purchasing new clothes after I donate some clothes that I no longer wear.  Other places that accept clothing donations are homeless shelters, churches, schools, and soup kitchens. 

 It doesn't take too long to go through your closet and drawers and pick out clothes that don't fit or items that you no longer wear. Collect them in a bag and next time you are running some errands, take them anywhere that accepts donations.

So, next time you feel like you need a little retail therapy, consider those who can barely afford to put a shirt on their back.  There is no better feeling in the World than the satisfaction received from helping others.

1 comment: