Sunday, April 28, 2013

Don’t Waste Money on Fads


For my final post (to achieve the minimum requirements for class), I wanted to try and write something inspirational. I wanted to share something with my readers that they can remember for years to come. Sadly, I don’t have anything super amazing- like the key to success or the directions to the fountain of youth…but, I do have a pretty important tip on how you can pinch some pennies. 

As a young adult who is actively involved on social media, who reads magazines, and watches television, I am pretty aware of what is going on around me.  I would say that I have been aware of these surroundings since middle school.  Over the years though, things have obviously changed. In middle school, everyone pictured in magazines that I was reading (Teen Vogue & Seventeen) were wearing puka shell necklaces and ripped up jeans. So, what did I ask my parents for when I went to the mall? You guessed it- a puka shell necklace and ripped jeans. *Hopefully you guys didn’t waste too much money on those. 

 Hint- You can buy $3.75 jeans at Goodwill and rip them yourself.
 

I don’t think that you have to be “out of fashion” in order to save money, but I do think it is important to not waste money on fads. Fads become lame just as quickly as they became cool. Some examples of fads that I remember growing up are jelly bracelets, wind suit jackets, and anything Lisa Frank. As a kid, my instinct to give in and go with the flow is going to be more understandable. But, because I am an adult now- I need to realize when something that is being advertised is a fad and not spend a lot of money on it. I need to spend my money on items that I will like and be okay with wearing in 6 months to a year from now. 

I think I spent nearly $60 on a pair of  (hideous) shoes like this in middle school.


If you see an advertisement for something and your first instinct is that what you just saw seems silly, chances are, it probably is. Be comfortable with who you are and what you like. Don’t go buy $100 snake skin leggings just because Beyonce wore some at the VMA’s. Spend your money on items that you like, and will continue to like for months to come.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it, you might
    be a great author. I will remember to bookmark your blog and may come
    back down the road. I want to encourage that you continue your great writing, have a nice day!


    Here is my weblog; best way to lose weight fast

    ReplyDelete