Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Make (and take) a List


We’ve all done it…at some point each of us has claimed “I’m just running to the store to get some bread and toilet paper” and then end up leaving the store with more bags than we can possibly carry.  Mistakes happen. Impulse buys are hard to pass up. Sometimes a little retail therapy is just what the doctor ordered. I understand…but, if you’re like me and you can’t afford these kinds of mishaps, here is a tip: write a list. Sound almost too easy? Maybe that’s because it is.

Instead of walking into a store without a plan and being overwhelmed by the hundreds of shelves lined with products, try walking into a store with a list in hand.  You will feel more in control of yourself and in turn, you will be so much more likely to only buy the items that you need. Not to mention, you are much more likely to remember everything that you need to purchase. *That may be worse than buying too much…forgetting to buy to what you actually came to the store for. 

I keep my lists on my phone and they are usually pretty detailed.


Shopping lists aren’t just for groceries either.  If you are planning a party and you need to buy some supplies, writing a list will definitely help you stay on track while shopping. Another time that I like to use a shopping list is when I am shopping for someone’s birthday or Christmas shopping. Without a list, I am likely to either forget to buy someone a present or possibly buy someone more than one present.  

One problem that many people have (including myself) with list making is remembering to bring the list to the store. Here are several possible solutions to this problem: make a list on your phone (no one leaves the house without their phone), always keep your list in the same place (the fridge is a good location), and the day of your shopping trip try taping the list right on the door so that you can’t miss it as you walk out. 

If you can’t tell already- I’m a big proponent of list making. I make lists for everything basically. I believe that one of the reasons I do this is to help myself feel accomplished. Making a list for shopping can provide you with this same sensation. Checking off items, remembering all of the items you need, as well as not buying unnecessary items are all reasons to feel accomplished. 
So next time, before you rush out of your door headed to the store to grab a few things- make sure you write down those “few things” so you don’t come home with more than you bargained for.

1 comment:

  1. I make list all the time, never go to the store without because as you said I will buy more then I meant too. Trying to teach my roommates to do the same and it's hard, Lol.

    ReplyDelete